Sunday, March 1, 2015

Dolphins Are The New Dramamine

Hello everyone (or the small sample of people who actually reads this blog)! I know it’s been a while, aided by the fact that internet around these parts is short-lived and infrequent. I can’t believe that I’ve already been here for over a month! But when I think about it, so much has happened that it’s hard to believe it’s only been a month.

I’ll start with this past week, because it is the most fresh in my mind. As some of you know, I’ve grown up with a strong love of…dolphins! And though I used to cry because I didn’t get to touch the dolphins in Sea World or Marine World or whatever dolphin-related book I was reading, this week I cried for a very different reason. While we were boating out to the Poor Knights Islands (said to be one of the best places to snorkel in the world), I was lying down feeling seasick out of my mind (not quite out of my stomach), when I heard the cry, “Dolphins!” and immediately fell over myself sprinting onto the front deck. What started as a tiny puff from a blowhole in the distance turned into a pod of dolphins leaping all around our boat, almost close enough to touch. I was so overcome with emotion that yes, I cried, because I’ve been wishing to see a sight like that since I was about five years old. (PICTURES -->) 






Since I feel like it would be impossible to fit everything, I’ll give a few highlights…

Kayaking. When we first had our kayak training, we had to practice flipping over and getting back in. I was pretty afraid to flip my kayak over, because (probably like most people) I have an intrinsic fear of drowning and I was afraid I’d get stuck under the kayak and feel like I was drowning (not actually drown, but I was afraid of that feeling itself, ya know?) But I’ve noticed that since I’ve been here, I’ve already become better at acknowledging, and then stepping away from fear, and expanding the elastic limits of my comfort zone. Who knows what crazy things I’ll be doing in week 15.

Zorbing. Nuff said.

Bioluminescent phytoplankton! Apparently bioluminescent algae is a thing on the east coast (of the U.S., and maybe on the west coast for all I know), but to me it was the first time I’d seen anything like it. We spent almost a week at a place called Opoutere, kayaking through mangroves, and getting our hands dirty doing a survey of shellfish in the estuary. On the last night, we all walked down to the beach together, and as I got closer to the water, I let out a tiny gasp as a speck of glowing green flickered and then disappeared. The more I watched, the more tiny, glowing phytoplankton I saw wash in and out, a fleeting bright green spark that was like the ocean’s magical little attempt at a shooting star.

La Rosa Park. It was refreshing to visit La Rosa Park, just a park outside of Auckland, and see someone who leads community-driven projects/engagement. Gabriella, a cheerful Aucklander we met, was the leader of daylighting, or un-piping, a stream in a park, and adding community gardens and art to it, and it was heartwarming to see how well it had gone. I think that community-driven or grassroots activism can be a murky topic in that there aren’t specific guidelines on how it’s done, but it was great to see that it can, in fact, be done (and done well).

Tongariro Crossing. Known as the best day hike in New Zealand, and one of the best in the world, I have to say that this was by far the coolest hike I have ever done in my life. The 15-mile hike included a side trip climbing Ngauruhoe, or as some people know it as, Mount Doom. Every turn and summit held a new landscape, from the impressive Mars-like Mount Doom, to bright blue and green lakes, to dramatic red volcanic cliffs, to thick rainforest. If you’re ever in New Zealand, DO THIS.

Food Matters Conference. Not part of the program, a group of about eight of us went to a conference called “Food Matters” in Auckland. A scientist, a chef, and Dr. Vandana Shiva, an incredibly inspiring environmental activist, spoke about the hidden and devastating effects that the use of genetically modified foods have on the environment. Going in, I had little qualms with GMOs, but I learned so much from the conference. There is a profound amount of pesticides used on them (since they are engineered to be pesticide-resistant), and the side-effects of using sprays such as Roundup can be incredibly damaging. Also, the superpower chemical companies like Monsanto are stripping the rights of seed saving, and the biodiversity of crops, away from farmers all over the world. Knowing that GM foods are not grown here in New Zealand is a comfort, but it seems their use may be impending (GM foods are already imported).

Hobbiton. Okay, I fully embraced the American tourist experience for a day, and took a tour of the Hobbiton movie set, a huge sheep farm-turned-very-realistic Shire. Not only was it amazing how life-like it all felt, and exciting to dress in provided hobbit clothes, but it was mind-blowing the amount of detail that went into the set. There was even an intricate process for creating fake moss on the fences, and during filming, someone was required to walk back and forth across lawns to create natural-looking footpaths.

TLDR: EVERYTHING IS MAGICAL AND I’M SO GLAD I’M HERE WITH MARINE LIFE AND MOUNTAINS AND MORDOR (yes, I will continue the alliteration theme)

~Peace~


P.s. Pictures finally here






No comments:

Post a Comment